Interview: Enjoy Clothing - Nuala Parriss


Nuala Parriss aged 49 and owner of vintage shop, Enjoy Clothing.
Nuala opened Enjoy Clothing in the 80’s with only £500.00 to rent the space and by the age of 22 she had travelled to over 23 countries.
Now in her late forties (and the owner of a loveable dog called Rabbit), Nuala’s vintage shop is now celebrating its twenty-eighth year, she sources the items she sells in Enjoy Clothing from around the country through the networks she makes at flea markets and festivals . Here she tells us the secret to building up a brand.
          “I would make the clothes whilst I was travelling and bring them back to sell in the shop.”


How did you come up with the name of the shop?
I was travelling for about a year and I liked the word enjoy as it was simple and easy to remember; same goes for the logo which both stayed.

What inspired you to open your own fashion boutique?
Back when I first started, I had £500.00 to setup the shop and rent out the space. At the time (1980’s) I bought a bundle of cheap clothes and slowly worked my way up by selling clothes at a reasonable price. I still sell some clothes for £10.00. We keep it cheap so people can afford it. I used to work with fabrics and interiors as well as do flea markets one day a week. I loved selling little second hand bits from furniture to clothing. It eventually over took my day job and became my week job, so I went full time doing the flea markets. I went on to do festivals such as Glastonbury, Sunrise Celebration and Secret Garden.

Your boutique is based in Truro, do you look online or go to flea markets for your vintage pieces?
I travel mostly, I’ve just come back from London and picked up a few pieces. However, a lot of people will come in and sell us things that have been in their wardrobe for years, their vintage collectables are our best finds. In this case, we normally offer a price that we think the item is worth and then either keep it in the shop or sell it on. 

Where have you been travelling?
All over really. I did the around the world trip when I was 22, I went to 23 countries. Nepal was one of my favourite places to visit, the country is stunning and the people are amazing. I used to make lots of clothes out there in Nepal, Thailand, Indonesia and India. Sometimes I would make the clothes whilst I was travelling and bring them back to sell in the shop.

Do you sell your clothes on eBay or setup stalls elsewhere? 
Last year we setup an eBay account which was quite successful; selling pieces from the shop on to eBay was a great way to reach out to a wider audience. We sell designer pieces like Ossie Clark and other collectable items of clothing to let people know what we have to offer. On a more local basis, I setup a stall in Helston on Flora Day, it’s good way to gain extra promotion and is easy to talk to the locals.

What are the pros and cons to owning your very own quirky shop?
Well, it’s full time! You don’t switch off, you keep going and you try to come up with new ideas so we are changing our clothes quite regularly and new stock comes in on a weekly basis just from going to a flea market or from someone that wants to sell an item. The best thing about owning a vintage shop is that you can have a five-year-old and a ninety-five-year-old walk in and both can appreiciate the shop. We have kitted out for all ages and the shop has a collective mix to suit everyone’s taste. However, with an individual shop like this you hear what people want so you get what people want. If someone requests something I will try and get the item within a week, I know people all around the country that sell vintage pieces and I can put a request in.

Have you been featured in any magazines?
Yes, it has been interesting in the last couple of years to advertise with magazines and local papers but we have been featured in Vogue, Glamour and Marie Claire.

What is your favourite item in the shop?
I have a beautiful 1930’s velvet coat upstairs with a silk lining and a floral print on the inside. I have a lot of 50’s and 70’s dresses upstairs which I like to sell on at festivals. Mostly I love really old vintage clothing – I love the fabric and the detail on a piece of clothing.

If you could go back in time, which era would you like to visit?
I think the Biba days in the seventies, they sound amazing and the people that used to go to the Biba shop in London were fashionable and phenomenal.

If you could meet any fashion icon past or present who would it be and why? 
I would like to meet Naomi Cambell I think she is a beautiful but I wouldn’t mind if she offered to strut in my clothes! Designer wise, I like All Saints they have such an alternative edge to their clothing and coming from market traders they have done well for themselves.

Where did you get your T.V. from?
A lady that lives here has a daughter up in London she was decorating the flat and wanted to move it on. The mum came in and asked if I would be interested in buying a T.V. so I bought it.
The T.V. still works considering it was made in 1973!

For more info, visit Enjoy Clothing’s website: www.enjoyclothing.co.uk/‎ or visit them on Pydar Street, Town Centre, Truro

No comments:

Post a Comment