Interview: RockLove - Allison Hourcade



RockLove is a designer label based in New York City, the brand is inspired by world travel, historical eras and vintage nostalgia. Allison Hourcade, the founder of RockLove, uses eco-friendly materials to make RockLove's limited edition silver and gold pieces. Using genuine gemstones and vintage fragments, Allison fuses her talents into making beautiful historical pieces and offer originality and a personal touch giving each jewellery collection meaning and tribute to their lost art forms. Here Allison shares her love for jewellery design and inspiration for RockLove.

How old are you and where are you from?
I was born in St. Louis and have always enjoyed the ample art and museums of my home city, but I aspired to move to the Big Apple. I was an ambitious loud-mouth who wore a lot of black and wasn't very good at driving a car so it was the perfect fit! I moved to New York City around 8 years ago and started RockLove in 2007. I went full time a year later when I was 23 years old which makes me currently 28, and I just counted on my fingers to double check my math.

How and why did you setup RockLove?
When I first moved to New York City, I worked for a fancy gold and diamond designer on Fifth Avenue. Her style was the exact opposite of my own and the way she did business was dispassionate and unfriendly. It was a kick in the pants to see how the 'industry' worked behind closed doors. I began making RockLove jewellery each night as a release and vowed that my customers would never suffer the dishonesty I saw around me.

Your jewellery collections have historical and geographical themes, what is it about these themes that inspire your beautiful pieces?
Each collection is different. I don't really follow one particular equation. Maybe it's one particular component that captures my attention or an entire era of history or an anthology of baubles a traveller might find in the bottom of their pockets. I'm never sure where I might land next.

Which collection is your favourite?
My father is a life long chess-player and I made the Chess Collection in tribute to him. Soon after the completion of the series, I began working with the US Chess Federation and the Chess Hall of Fame, and some of the world's best players wear my pieces.  The whole experience has brought my father and me closer together.

The Viking Collection is my other favourite; it expanded past a mere jewellery series and turned into an unexpected way for me to interact with followers. Every day since January 1st 2013, I've posted a Viking fact, recipe, joke or bizarre trivia to the RockLove Page - (http://www.facebook.com/rocklovefanpage). The posts have been shared all across the internet.  Sometimes I even run across my own "Daily Histoire" images on a complete stranger's website. It is rewarding to know so many people enjoy my historical factoids, no jewellery purchase required.


How do you feel about celebrities wearing your very own branded jewellery?
It's always cool to see a celebrity wear RockLove, but even better when I notice a stranger or a friend wearing it on the street. Of course, I am excited to hear so-and-so wore my jewellery on the red carpet, but when my mum calls to say she saw someone on the street wearing one of my pieces (in a different part of the country), that is when I feel truly prideful.

You have collaborated with bands, authors and charities, what is it do you have to offer to them as well as your customers?
Bands, authors and other designers have so much on their plate as it is and they aren't jewellers. Most of the time, their only option for merchandise is mass produced low-quality product from overseas, which feels like a sell-out and impersonal. With RockLove, the artist and I work together to craft affordable wearable pieces which are limited edition, beautiful quality and handmade locally. It is a sincere collaboration in which the artist creates something for their fans, and I translate it into jewellery.

Do you have any upcoming collections on the way?
I have too many collections currently! One following Impressionist painters in Paris, another based upon traditional patterns and materials of Alaska, and a third inspired by Edwardian keepsakes.

Is there any advice you can give to students that are aspiring to be jewellery designers?
Stay true to your own style! So many people want to be jewellery designers but go by what they 'think' that will sell, make them money, or make them famous. This might work for a while but after a few collections, if you are not authentic in your designs, everything becomes a chore. I've clocked over 25,000 hours on RockLove and I am still excited each morning to begin my work. The only way to stay motivated is to design sincerely.

For more information links are listed below

No comments:

Post a Comment