Feature: Students Dealing With Anxiety

Moving to university can be one of the most exciting transitions for a person’s life; likewise university is a place full of new experiences allowing students space for personal growth, however, for some students the thought can be daunting, isolating and stressful for numerous reasons whether it is living costs, university work or socialising with new people. At the start of the year, universities will conduct their first week of the academic term introducing their campus facilities so students know where to go for help. As of when the support is available the awareness doesn’t always reassure students that they can ask for help. Despite the current climate of general awareness around mental health there is still stigma. If a university student doesn’t feel able to go to the support services provided they are less likely to ask for help. The stress of university life can trigger a range of mental health symptoms such as: Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, eating disorders and anxiety. The National Union of Students (NUS) earlier this year found that just one in 10 students who experience difficulties actually turn to counselling. From a personal perspective of a university student who has first hand understanding of these issues I will be looking at one of the areas of mental health close to my heart, anxiety.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a mental health disorder that many people experience at some point in their lives. Feelings which contribute to anxiety are stress, uncertainty and fear. However, anxiety can manifest in different ways which can lead to panic attacks and phobias.
Listed below are the different types of anxieties a person may have.
Types
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Sufferers of OCD constantly have thoughts or fears that cause them to perform certain rituals or routines. The thoughts are called obsessions, and the rituals are called compulsions, for example a person with the fear of germs who constantly washes their hands.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): is a condition following a traumatic or terrifying event, such as a sexual or physical assault or the unexpected death of a loved one. People with PTSD often have lasting, frightening thoughts and memories of the traumatic event.
Panic Disorder: People with panic disorder have feelings of terror that strike suddenly and repeatedly with no warning.
Specific Phobias: A specific phobia is an intense fear of a specific object or situation, such as spiders, heights, or flying.
Social Phobia: Also called social anxiety, involves overwhelming worry and self-consciousness about everyday social situations. The worry often centres’ on a fear of being judged by others, or behaving in a way that might cause embarrassment or lead to ridicule.
Agoraphobia: is the fear of being in a situation where escape might be difficult or help wouldn’t be available, for example; visiting a shopping centre, travelling on public transport and leaving home.
Emetophobia: is the fear of vomiting which is triggered by anxiety.
Signs, Symptoms and Triggers
For different people, worrying about feeling uncomfortable, embarrassed or unsuccessful can affect your sleep, appetite and concentration. Anxiety can be triggered for different reasons so if you know what your triggers are it’s important to address them so in the future you can prevent your issues from developing. Anxiety can appear at different times for different people, such examples could be; sitting for an exam, attending an interview or simply walking down the street.
Symptoms (from Web MD) vary depending on the type of anxiety disorder, physical symptoms include:
Feelings of panic, fear, and uneasiness
Uncontrollable, obsessive thoughts
Repeated thoughts or flashbacks of traumatic experiences
Nightmares
Ritualistic behaviors, such as repeated hand washing
Problems sleeping
Cold or sweaty hands and/or feet
Shortness of breath
Palpitations
An inability to be still and calm
Dry mouth
Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
Nausea
Muscle tension
Dizziness
Insomnia


These symptoms can be severe if the disorder is left untreated. Advisably, find help as soon as possible whether you want to see a doctor or self-help.
Treatment
Depending on the level of anxiety whether it is short or long term there are several treatments which can help get rid of or tame this debilitating condition. Most people will have their own routines for dealing with their anxiety. Finding your triggers can be difficult and once you know them, asking for help can be over whelming. I know from personal experience that asking for help can be awkward or embarrassing. Thankfully, people are able to search for advice online; there is lots of health forums and charities who can offer help and listed below are some suggestions for self help services.
Organisations
Charities are helpful with the information and support they offer on and offline. The charities listed below have case studies, helplines, tips and advice. Reading up on other people’s experiences and advice will help with your anxiety.
NHS
Anxiety UK
Mind
SAS (Social Anxiety Support)
Health.com
Exercise
When feeling worried and stressed, exercise is the best way to realise any anxious thoughts. Nonetheless, doing daily exercise can drastically reduce anxiety, it might be the last thing you want to do but once you feel motivated, so will your body. If exercise might be the route for you find an activity you enjoy.
Quote from Health.com, Dr. Ramsey says, “If you’re really anxious and you hop on a treadmill, you will feel calmer after the workout. I ask my patients to spend 20 to 30 minutes in an activity that gets their heart rate up, whether it’s a treadmill or elliptical or stair stepping—anything you like. “
Listed below are some recommended activities: 
Yoga
Swimming
Running
Zumba
Walking
Herbal Remedies
Some anxiety is normal but it shouldn’t interfere with your daily routine. If you want to try a non-drug and healthy remedy, why not try herbal remedies, they are perfect for when you are having an off day and feel jittery. Some herbal supplements reduce anxiety without making you sleepy (such as green tea), while others are sedatives. If you are interested in using remedies try out some of the supplements listed below and for more information go to www.health.com
Rescue Remedy
Kalms
Chamomile
Green Tea
Omega 3
Passionflower
Valerian

Anxiety is a common disorder in students and it’s important to acknowledge that it is an issue that needs more awareness. Speaking with a student, studying BA honours in Children studies at Canterbury Christ Church, shares her experience living with anxiety 24/7.

How long have you had anxiety for?
I was officially diagnosed with anxiety/depression in 2012 (aged 20) but have had the symptoms since I was about 10/11. My anxiety is triggered by large crowds, being out without a ‘safe’ person (my boyfriend and mum etc) and sometimes I feel I am being judged unfairly. I find asking people for help extremely stressful even if it is something simple like asking for an appointment.
What is the foundation to your anxiety?
My anxiety is a mixture of confidence issues and social issues that still affect me today. Since a young child I have found it hard to maintain friendships and have subsequently always had very low self-esteem. In secondary school I was often bullied for my appearance and was angry with myself for not knowing how to deal with it. Between the ages of 15 and 16 I was targeted by my supposed friend group and my esteem was at rock bottom and I was having frequent anxiety attacks. Sometimes just thinking of school brings on feelings of anxiety. My early social experiences have caused me to be very weary of people and social occasions. I often think to myself that there is no point forming friendships as deep down people will eventually leave or mock me. This makes it very difficult when starting a new job, attending interviews or meetings, asking people for help.
What do you do to calm your nerves?
If I am by myself I keep my head down and take deep breaths, if possible I remove myself from the situation and go to a quiet place where I can talk myself through what’s bothering me. If I am with my boyfriend I squeeze his hand 3 times and he keeps me close until I am calm again. It really helps to have people around you who understand what you are going through. I have 3 ‘safe’ people.
Have you had any help with your anxiety?
I opted not to have any medication or therapy for my anxiety because the waiting list was so long, however, my GP allows me to come in to talk via appointment during particularly stressful times. I also talk to either my close friend or my boyfriend if I am feeling low.
Do you ever feel anxious when you are teaching a class?
I tend not to feel anxious at work in the classroom as it has become my comfort zone. Being around young children helps as they are very honest and non-judgemental. My anxiety shows at work when in meetings with governors/head teacher, where I know I am being analysed as a person and a professional.
Anxiety feeds on negative feelings and this student is a wonderful example of someone that excels in her work and shows that anxiety can be overcome with a supportive family and a positive mind set. As the quote goes ‘you are your worst enemy’. If you tell yourself you are not good enough then you will believe it. So be kind, rewind, and love yourself for who you are and except that you have imperfections and limitations but these should not be barriers to amazing life experiences that are out there ready to be conquered.
Images from: Tumblr
References:
Anxiety UK
Web MD
Health.com
NHS
Mind
Anxiety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment