Interview: Chronically Vintage - Jessica Cangiano


Chronically Vintage is a fashion and lifestyle blog with just over 2000 followers. The blog has been going for over five years and which has been featured in Her vintage Life and voted top vintage blog. The face behind the blog is Jessica Cangiano, she is a full time blogger, photographer, freelance writer as well as an online shop owner. Jessica's blog posts vary from recipes to must see places to factual historical features. Her interests lay in early/mid twentieth century fashion, beauty and lifestyle (1920’s -1950’s) which she certainly shows in her blog. Chronically Vintage is a great place to get inspiration to learn tips and tricks to having iconic beauty and hairstyles. 


Jessica's inspiration for starting a blog came about in April 2009, she was unfortunately having a rough spell with numerous health issues, so to take her mind off her condition Jessica decided to setup a vintage blog (and we are grateful that she did). Speaking with Jessica she shares her love for vintage and explains what it takes to be a fashion blogger.


What is it about vintage fashion do you love the most?
My initial gut response is to say, quite frankly, "everything", but that may be oversimplifying things a tad. I'm drawn to vintage fashion, history, home decor, movies, music, and myriad other things because I've always, no joke, as far back as I have memories, felt a tremendously deep and powerful - one might even say intrinsic - pull towards periods in time that came before me. I love the present world for so many things and am a million miles away from being a Luddite, but I also appreciate and strive to surround myself with elements of the past, such as vintage fashion from the 1940s and 50s, that brings me an unending amount of joy and a sense of connection with those who came before me.

What is your favourite vintage item?
Unquestionably the small number of late 1930s through to early 1960s vintage clothing and accessory items that I received from a relative which have all been in our family since those very years. They're the only vintage clothing that has been handed down to me (and possibly the only, baring the items at my house that exists amongst my relatives these days) and are all invaluably important heirlooms to me.




Why did you setup a vintage blog? 
My blog, Chronically Vintage, came about in April 2009, more than five years ago now, because at the time I was going through a horrendously rough spell on the health front (I'm severely chronically ill with a multitude of different conditions) and needed something to focus (at least some of) my thoughts and attention on other than my health. I'd had a longstanding love of history, mid-century fashion, and the vintage scene since I was a young child, and had already been following some of the early vintage blogs, so I knew in my heart of heart that was what I wanted to launch a site devoted to. Little did I know back then, though I will freely admit to hoping as much, that it would grow into the world famous site (amongst the vintage community) that is is today, in addition to transforming into my full-time career and an immensely important and much loved part of my life. I'm so grateful for my blog and adore seeing it continue to grow, transform and become even more enjoyable for me - and I very much for hope for my readers, too - as time goes on.

What is your favourite era?
My favourite decades, though I'm the first to readily acknowledge that they were fraught with all kinds of problems on social, political, civil rights, etc fronts and I have no desire to revive those negative elements of them, are the 1940s and 1950s. In particular, due largely to the fact that I flat out adore the clothing and accessories of that era, I especially love the years spanning 1947 (which ushered in Dior's now wildly iconic New Look) and 1957.


Is it difficult being a full time blogger? 
It is time consuming often, yes, but blogging - now coupled with running an online vintage store (https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChronicallyVintage) that I just opened earlier this month - is my full time job, so it's only natural that it takes up several (or more) hours of my workdays. In terms of coming up with post ideas, that's rarely been an issue for me as I find creativity begets creativity and in my case that usually means that for every post I write, I come up with two or more further ideas for future ones (I have a hefty Word document chalked full of nothing but possible future ideas that I turn, and add, to often). I find that inspiration really is everywhere and I never know what, be it vintage related or otherwise, is going to light that distinct fuse in my soul and set me practically running to write a new post.





Has blogging helped your writing career in terms of doing freelance writing for magazines and showing off your tips and tricks?
Interestingly, while I did do some freelance and ghost writing in my early 20s, I've not opted to use my blog as a catalyst for such types of writing so far. It (my blog) is my focus most days when it comes to writing and as touched on above, as it's my job, too, I don't have a lot of time to devote to pursuing other writing avenues. Though, that said, I would truly love to write a book (vintage related or otherwise) one day and am sure that the many years of blogging writing experience I now have under my belt will come in handy when that awesome dream materializes one day.


Living in Canada are there many vintage communities and events? Or do you find the internet is the best place for vintage recipes, fashion and lifestyle tips?
Generally speaking, no, there are not a lot of vintage related events of communities of likeminded folks in this country. Those of us with a passion for the past seem too often be spread out and the lone wolves, so to speak, or very nearly so, in our respective corners of Canada. There are, in some of the largest cities (such as Vancouver, Toronto, and Edmonton) groups of vintage lovers that get together throughout the year and Toronto has it's lovely Vintage Society, but again, by and large, compared to other similar countries like the UK and US, there aren't a lot of vintage events, people, shops or the like in this vast, beautiful country of mine. I find that I use both real world and online resources to further my knowledge of the past and to garner inspiration from on the wardrobe front. Old photos, library books and books I've purchased over the years, discussions with elderly people, watching old movies, hunting for vintage clothes, etc mingle marvellously with the resources that are available for one and all to avail of online. It's not an all or nothing situation for me, but rather a wonderful blend of the two awesome sources of vintage related information.

Would you say blogging is a good way to socialize with other writers that love vintage? 
Massively, yes! Assuming of course that one opts to interact with fellow vintage bloggers, which is most commonly done through blog comments and on various social media sites. For many of us, myself included, our online vintage friends are the only ones (vintage friends that is) that we may have, if we live in an area where we're the sole vintage wearing/blogging person. I've made some amazing online friendships with fellow vintage fans online over the years and cherish those relationships as much as though I knew those folks in person. I find that, by and large, the vintage community (online and off) is a warm, welcoming, friendly place and I feel very fortunate to be a part of it via my blog, social media accounts, and most recently my brand new Etsy shop.

For more information follow links:

No comments:

Post a Comment