Feature: Lumi - Sanna Kantola


(Founders: Sanna Kantola and Bruno Beaugrand)
       
“LUMI means snow in the Finnish language. The snowflake being a real symbol of creativity and beauty, no two exactly alike.”

Lumi was founded in New York City, by designers, Sanna Kantola and Bruno Beaugrand. During the millennium they were celebrating in Europe and came across a felt factory in Finland. Both, Sanna and Bruno started making felt hats and bags with added leather and details which lead to the birth of Lumi. Today Lumi is sold all over the world selling in over 25 countries, in department stores, speciality stores and boutiques. Talking with Sanna, she shares how the love for fashion inspired her to enter the fashion realm.


“I always wanted to work in a creative field since I was a little girl. In the beginning, my dream was to become an architect, but I soon realized that I wanted to work with people and their looks, and so my love story with fashion design began.”

Sanna was born in Finland and studied in both Helinski and Paris in the 90’s. Once Sanna had graduated she worked at numerous Finnish magazines and interned at a Paris for trend consulting company, Promostyl, she also worked for designer Louis Féraud. Sanna later became a freelance designer and decided accessories was the area she wanted to design for.

“I initially studied to become a Fashion Designer, and I have a Masters Art degree in Fashion. However, during my studies, I started to work as a freelance designer for a Finnish handbag company and I also designed cell phone cases for Nokia (back in the 90's when Nokia cell phones were still popular).



“This inspired me to concentrate on accessories versus clothing. Once I moved to New York, all head hunters were immediately interested in my experience in designing handbags and cell phone cases and that is how I started my career as a accessories designer. I am glad I did, I like the fact that accessories are more of a niche product compared to clothing, and handbags in particular are related somewhere in between fashion and industrial design.“

Sanna has collaborated with designers, brands and magazines, proving her eco-friendly products are a huge hit with customers. With her hard work and dedication to Lumi, Sanna discusses how Lumi’s materials are created into high quality handbags.



“Currently, over 60% of our Lumi products are made in vegetable-tanned leather and other sustainable materials, and we are striving to become 100% sustainable in the future. Nowadays, one can achieve amazing colours with vegetable-tanned leathers. Being eco-friendly is an advantage and with people being more and more conscious of their everyday sources; the understanding of eco-friendly materials that are made by hand have also risen, and consumers are even looking for products with a more natural look”.

Lumi’s products come in countless colours and sizes but Lumi’s best seller the ‘Spermarket Bag’ is a huge hit with customers and Sanna explains why.

“The inspiration behind our Supermarket Bag is literally the plastic bag that you get from any supermarket! We have just made ours more sustainable with leather and added more function to the bag with exchangeable handles, zipper closure, and inside pockets. Our Supermarket Bags are available in several lush colours and many handy sizes. Also the bag is very simple and both men and women can use it, plus the fact that the bag does not go out of style, are key factors behind the success.”


In stores, Lumi has a new collection of scented home accessories called Lumi Scent, as Sanna shares:

“It is a complete new line of scented home accessories: scented candle, scented soap, scented bath oil and scented bath salt. All products are hand-made in Sweden with natural materials and packaged inside old pharmacy-style brown glass bottles, and a unique splint basket which you can use for home decoration or storage after. The four scent options - Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter - are inspired from the four distinctive seasons of Finland and nature.
“In August, the Lumi Shoe collection is also coming out and we will open a brand new Shoe Store in the heart of Helsinki!”

After fourteen years building and branding Lumi accessories, I ask Sanna what is the key secret to owning a successful brand.

“Dreams, action, unique designs, hard team work and a positive attitude.”

Photographs: Bruno and Sanna taken by Merja Young

SS14 catalogue pictures taken by: Sebastian Johannson

Follow links for more information:

No comments:

Post a Comment